Working knowledge of the first five books of the Bible is essential for every serious student of the Scriptures. The Torah Story course introduces the first five books of the Old Testament and helps students understand how these books contribute to the Bible’s ongoing story of salvation.
Presented in an engaging and accessible manner, even while digging into difficult and complicated matters at a sophisticated level, The Torah Story course emphasizes the content of the text itself, moving beyond debating dates and theories of authorship into understanding how these five key books of the Bible help us understand the story of salvation.
The Torah Story course provides a model of how to read Scripture intertextually. It leaves no doubt as to the overarching unity of the message and composition of the Pentateuch.
- familiarity with the narratives and messages of each book in the Pentateuch
- insight into how to read the first five books of the Old Testament intertextually
- a broader grasp of how the Pentateuch contributes to the story of salvation
- confidence in your growing knowledge through unit assessments and personalized review sessions that include award-winning memory building tools
Ph.D., Dallas Theological Seminary
Gary Schnittjer is professor of Old Testament at the School of Divinity, Cairn University in Langhorne, Pennsylvania. He is author of The Torah Story published by Zondervan. Dr. Schnittjer has also taught Bible, theology, biblical exposition, and Greek at several other seminaries and colleges. A frequent presenter at academic societies and other conferences, he also regularly teaches and preaches at churches and other organizations, addressing pastors, teachers, adults, and youth. For two years, he served as guest lecturer for African Leadership and Reconciliation Ministries (ALARM) in Kenya. He has also led multiple ministries to youth, ranging from junior high students to young adults.
1. An Apprenticeship on and Introduction to the Torah
2. Macroview of Genesis and The Beginning (Gen. 1:1-2:4a)
3. Garden, Exile, Flood, and Nations (Gen. 2:4b-4:26)
4. The Abraham and Jacob Narratives (Gen. 12:1-36:43)
5. The Sons of Jacob Narratives and the Last Days
6. Macroview of Exodus; The River and the Bush (Ex. 1-4)
7. The Plagues, Sea, Wilderness and the Mountain (Ex. 5:1-24:18)
8. Rebellion and Dwelling (Ex. 25-40)
9. MIDTERM EXAM
10. Macroview of Leviticus and Sacrifice (Lev. 1-7)
11. Purity, Worship, and Holy Living (Lev. 8-27)
12. Macroview of Numbers and the First Generation at Sinai
13. Two Generations in the Wilderness (Num. 10:11-21:35)
14. The Second Generation on the Plains of Moab (Num. 10:11-36)
15. Macroview of Deuteronomy; the Words and the Command
16. Rules, Regulations, and a View of the Other Side
17. Reintroducing the Torah
18. FINAL EXAM
This course is based on the book The Torah Story by Gary Schnittjer. While taking this course, you will have online access to most of this book's contents. However, if you want off line access or want this book in your personal library as a long-term reference, you may purchase it by clicking on the button to the right which will link you to amazon.ca.
Clearwater College is a participant in the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.ca. When you purchase from amazon.ca by linking through our website, Clearwater College receives a referral fee not only for this book, but also for any other purchases during your session on Amazon after linking through our site.