The Letters to the Church course introduces the cultural and theological background of Hebrews and the general epistles (James through Jude). Taught from an evangelical perspective by respected New Testament scholar Karen Jobes, the course addresses issues of historical relevance as well as connecting these ancient Scriptural books to Christian faith and practice today.
Letters to the Church covers historical background for each book focusing on authorship, genre, date, and content, as well as an exploration of the major themes in each book.
- familiarity with the historical background and authorship of each general epistle
- insight into how to apply the messages of each book today
- a broad grasp of the themes and content of each book
- confidence in your growing knowledge through unit assessments and personalized review sessions that include award-winning memory building tools
Karen H. Jobes
Ph.D., Westminister Theological Seminary
Karen H. Jobes is the Gerald F. Hawthorne Professor of New Testament Greek and Exegesis at Wheaton College and Graduate school in Wheaton, Illinois. The author of several works, she is also involved in Bible translation. She and her husband, Forrest, are members of Immanuel Presbyterian Church, an EPC church in Warrenville, Illinois.
1. Introducing Hebrews: The Book of Better Things
2. Famous Last Words: Divine Revelation in Hebrews
3. The Son is Our Great High Priest: The Christology of Hebrews
4. “How Shall We Escape?” The Soteriology of Hebrews
5. Introducing the Letter from James: Prophet and Sage of
the Kingdom of God
the Kingdom of God
6. A Christian Letter? Christology in James
7. The “Royal Law”: Christian Wisdom and Ethics in James
8. MIDTERM EXAM
9. Jude: Jesus’ Brother Warns the Church
10. “The True Grace of God”: Introducing 1 Peter
11. “Christ Has Left You an Example”: The Christology of 1 Peter
12. Foreigners and Resident Aliens: The Imatatio Christi in
13. 2 Peter: An Apostle’s Last Words to the Church
14. 1 John: Reassurance for Christians in Confusing Times
15. 2 and 3 John: Notes of Grace and Truth
16. FINAL EXAM
This course is based on the book Letters to the Church by Karen H. Jobes. While taking this course, you will have online access to most of this book's contents. However, if you want off line access or want this book in your personal library as a long-term reference, you may purchase it by clicking on the button to the right which will link you to amazon.ca.
Clearwater College is a participant in the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.ca. When you purchase from amazon.ca by linking through our website, Clearwater College receives a referral fee not only for this book, but also for any other purchases during your session on Amazon after linking through our site.