It’s one thing to read the Bible; it’s another to understand and apply it correctly. Learn how to read, interpret, and apply the Bible for yourself. Grounded in sound and memorable principles, Biblical Interpretation gives you the tools you need to study Scripture with insight, accuracy, and understanding.
Based on the popular textbook Grasping God’s Word by Old Testament scholar J. Daniel Hays and New Testament expert J. Scott Duvall, this course provides a simple and clear introduction to reading the Word of God carefully and in context, interpreting it, and then applying it faithfully.
Designed to follow Hays and Duvall’s memorable “Interpretive Journey” framework, this course equips self-learners and academic students with foundational, trustworthy principles of sound biblical interpretation.
All course material—instructional videos, readings, practical exercises, and quizzes—is available online for study at your own convenience.
- foundational principles required to understand the Bible correctly, based on material proven in college classrooms across the country
- insight into issues of background context, its influence on interpretation, and how your own history impacts understanding
- knowledge and tools to dig deeper into Scripture, interpret biblical texts, and rightly relate their meaning to life
- practice applying interpretive principles to New and Old Testament writings
- confidence in your growing knowledge through personalized review sessions, unit assessments, and award-winning memory building tools
J. Scott Duvall
Ph.D. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
J. Scott Duvall is professor of New Testament at Ouachita Baptist University. He has coauthored several books, including Biblical Greek Exegesis: A Graded Approach to Learning Intermediate and Advanced Greek; Grasping God’s Word; Preaching God's Word; and Journey into God’s Word.
J. Daniel Hays
Ph.D., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
J. Daniel Hays is dean of the Pruet School of Christian Studies and professor of Old Testament at Ouachita Baptist University. He is the author of From Every People and Nation, and he has coauthored Grasping God's Word; Preaching God's Word; Journey into God’s Word; The Story of Israel: A Biblical Theology; Iraq: Babylon of the End Times?; Apocalypse; and The Dictionary of Biblical Prophecy. He teaches adult Sunday school at his local church in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, and preaches frequently throughout the nation.
1. Bible Translations
2. Interpretive Journey
3. Sentences and Paragraphs
5. Historical-Cultural Context and What the Reader Brings
to the Text
6. Literary Context and Word Studies
7. Who Controls Meaning? and Levels of Meaning
8. Role of the Holy Spirit and Application
9. MIDTERM EXAM
10. NT: Letters
11. NT: Gospels
12. NT: Acts
13. NT: Revelation
14. OT: Narrative
15. OT: Law
16. OT: Poetry and Prophets
17. OT: Wisdom
18. FINAL EXAM
This Course is based on the book Grasping God’s Word by J. Scott Duvall and J. Daniel Hays. While taking this course, you will have online access to most of this book's contents. However, if you want off line access or want this book in your personal library as a long-term reference, you may purchase it by clicking on the button to the right which will link you to amazon.ca.
Clearwater College is a participant in the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.ca. When you purchase from amazon.ca by linking through our website, Clearwater College receives a referral fee not only for this book, but also for any other purchases during your session on Amazon after linking through our site.